Friday, January 28, 2011

Dote-Worthy Directors Part III: Jean-Pierre Jeunet



"When you are in love with a story, you have to take your time to follow it and to fall in love again one time. You need some time. And I need to be in love with a story because I am going to spend four years of my life inside without pleasure, without seeing anybody, you work 16 hours per day and at the weekend and I need to be in love with each detail." -- Jean-Pierre Jeunet


Wow. What is there to say about Jean-Pierre Jeunet? He is a fantastic, brilliant, French film maker and his films literally give me goosebumps every single time I watch them. My "love-affair" with Jeunet began a few years back, when I was first introduced to Amelie.. and I know it sounds silly.. but my life really has been changed by this man's films ever since. I quickly endeavored to watch any of his films that I could get my hands on shortly afterwards.

So, I suppose may be asking yourself exactly why I love his films so much. The answer is very simple, but somehow very difficult to convey. Oxymoron, I know, but bear with me. I love the feel of his films. There is such an ethereal, dream-like quality about his films that's very trademark for him. He has this very rare ability-- which has only happened to me a handful of times in my life-- to almost take you out of yourself and into a crazy, beautiful world full of evocative imagery that makes you stand breathless for a moment out of sheer admiration. He conveys BEAUTY unlike any other director I have ever come across. I'm going to admit something that you may poke fun at me later for, but it's nonetheless true. I have yet to sit through one of Jeunet's films without crying. I don't cry out of sadness.. but out of beauty, if that makes any sense.

Ever since I decided to make the move to film, Jeunet has been one of the directors that I draw very real inspiration from. I want my films to convey beauty and stand uniquely on their own, just as his films do. If you have not seen any of his films, I strongly encourage you to do so. My very favorites are of course:

Amelie


City of Lost Children




A Very Long Engagement






Delicatessen




These are top 4 favorite films by Jean-Pierre Jeunet. There are others, of course, but it must be noted that these 4 films have been his personal brain-children. Delicatessen was a joint production with his production partner Marc Caro, but the rest have been projects specifically belonging to him (with the help of his team to bring them about.. of course).

I should also say that thanks to Amelie, I have also found my favorite composer: Yann Tiersen, and I have been a dedicated fan ever since. If you haven't had a chance to listen to the Amelie soundtrack, or any of this other music, please do so. His most recent album was produced by Ken Thomas who is probably most noticed for his extensive work with the incredible Icelandic band, Sigur Ros. Take a listen-- you will not regret it. :)

That is all I have time for now, lovelies. I can rant for hours about Jeunet.. but alas, time will not permit me to do so. What are some of your favorite directors? Tell me, I'd love to hear them. :)

Be on the lookout for Dote-Worthy Directors Part IV.. I plan to have it out by next week by mid-week! Thanks for the read, and follow me if you aren't already! I will follow you as well. :)

Love and love,

Karla Von Guerra.

2 comments:

  1. I've only ever seen Amelie. I should watch some of his other films. He seems to be very talented.

    And...I LOVE Yann Tiersen, but of course you know that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course! You're the first person I think of when I listen to Yann.

    And yes, I agree. You should really watch some of his other films. You would love them. They really scream "Lydia".... Or "Fred". Whichever you prefer. :)

    ReplyDelete