Sunday, April 25, 2010

Dote-Worthy Directors Part I: Tim Burton


Hello Lovelies.

I have an announcement!
I've been thinking lately that I really want to do a series of blogs on my favorite and most influential directors.. sooo here it is, ladies and gentlemen, the first installment of this series! If you know me at all, my first choice for my first blog upon this subject will not come as a shock to you.

TIM BURTON.






What can I possibly say of my creative muse but that he is brilliant? It seems too commonplace to even just leave it at that. I have always been a big Burton fan, even at a very early age. I can clearly remember my parents putting movies on for my sister and I as we went to sleep, and usually they tended to pick movies such as Cinderella, Peter Pan, Robin Hood, and the like. I, however, would sneak out of bed and switch out the VHS for Beetlejuice or Edward Scissorhands instead. I cannot quite point out what stands out the most about his work to me. It's a mixture of things, really. I love his vision, I love that he's different, real, raw, and edgy. Going from being an animator with Disney to building your own production company and being known for edge cutting phantasmagoric films is quite a feat. Being a Christian, I tend to get reprimanded quite a bit for my love of all things Burton. I cannot begin to tell you how much this irritates me. Yes, Tim Burton is a darker character and much of his signature style and vision can be labeled as morbid and death obsessed, which is why, naturally, it raises some eyebrows as to why he is my favorite director. I can explain that quite simply.

I love the way he deals with such real issues-- such as death and the after life-- things that make many people uneasy and matters which individuals want to forget about-- and confronts them head on. Though, he is not a Christian, (he claims himself to be spiritual, but not religious or prescribing to any certain denomination) I find it intriguing that most of his films are centered around the idea of an after life, such as Frankenweenie, Beetlejuice, The Nightmare Before Christmas, The Corpse Bride, etc. It may not be a utopian after-life, but it is an artistically beautiful concept of an after-life interwoven with very real and beautiful human emotions. Honestly, he's the first and only director that I think will ever be able to successfully pull together life and death and wrap them up in an intricate and beautifully creative wrapper and introduce them to audiences in a way that keeps them coming back for more. Brilliance, ladies and gentlemen, brilliance.

One of my bestest friends, Lydia Joy, who is a magnificent photographer, recently did a Burton inspired shoot featuring the both of us (we are both Burton afficionados!) and I thought it was brilliant. Here is one of my favorite photos from the shot! :)


To wrap up this blog, I will leave you with the following link. It is a photo shoot that Harper's Bazaar did inspired by Tim Burton (much like the shot Lydia and I did). He is in a few of the shots, in one dressed as a clown, and in another dressed as "Sandy Claws" :) It really is an artistically beautiful shoot and I love it.


Cheers lovely ones,

Karla Von Guerra.
:)

"One person's crazyness is another person's reality."
-Tim Burton.

1 comment:

  1. Burton..my muse. I <3 him a lot. I would seriously love to be in one of his movies.

    Lovely post. :)

    ReplyDelete